Just the Tech #15: Apple, Amazon, Mango, European Broadband, Sony Ericsson, Dead Sea Scrolls
In this episode of Just the Tech: European Commission plans to assess the speed of Broadband across Europe, Microsoft are finally to release Mango. The latest release of Firefox 7, Google and the Dead Sea Scrolls. As it’s Wednesday it’s also time for our App of the Week.
This episode of Just the Tech lasts around 14 mins.
Please send feedback, and suggestions for inclusion in future episodes, to firstname.lastname@example.org
In partnership with SamKnows, the European Commission is recruiting volunteers to take part in a study to assess Broadband performance across Europe. 600 volunteers are sought in the UK and each one will be provided with a purpose-built broadband measurement unit. A previous project operated by Ofcom in the UK showed that generally broadband performance was less than half the advertised speed.
Microsoft are rolling out Mango, the Windows Phone 7.5 Mobile operating system but the update is going to be phased to ensure that handset makers have time to update necessary firmware to support Mango.
Talking on the Windows Phone Blog, Eric Hautala, Windows Phone 7 General Manager for Customer Experience Engineering, said they are deliberately starting out slow to ensure things go smoothly.
Thee latest version of Firefox has been redesigned to take a much smaller memory footprint whilst other performance enhancing improvements include a new rendering backend which utilises Direct2D graphics to accelerate canvas operations.
APP OF THE WEEK
App of the Week: Cinderella from Nosy Crow
Or App of the Week is a charming interactive story from Nosy Crow called “Cinderella”. Even though its a story that has been told countless times kids will love the interactive nature, beautiful graphics, and gentle relaxing music on offer in Cinderella.
- SamKnows: Measure your broadband accurately, more about SamKnows
- European Commission, more about the European Commission
- Windows Phone Blog: Recap: Windows Phone 7.5 “a breath of fresh air”, more from the Windows Team Blog
- Windows Phone Blog: Windows Phone 7.5 “Mango” update begins, more about Mango
- Microsoft: What’s new in Windows Phone 7.5, more from Microsoft about Mango
- Tizen, more from Tizen
- Clove: Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro, more from Clove
- Google Blog: From the desert to the web: bringing the Dead Sea Scrolls online, more from Google
- The Digital Dead Sea Scrolls: The Great Isaiah Scroll, More about the Digital Dead Sea Scrolls
- Mozilla: Firefox 7, more about Firefox 7
- Mozilla Firefox Significantly Reduces Memory Use to Make Web Browsing Faster, go to Mozilla
- Nosy Crow, more about Nosy Crow
- iTunes: Cinderella from Nosy Crow, Cinderella on iTunes