Could We Ever Be Too Connected?
A notion struck me whilst sitting on the train without access to the Internet that for someone who lives and breathes technology I am
woefully and inadequately connected for life on the move (probably because I haven’t been travelling a great deal over the last few years). A fellow traveller was sitting opposite me checking mail, surfing the Internet and generally entertaining themselves, for the three plus hour, journey with numerous gadgets whilst I had to resort to reading a book (admittedly I do enjoy a good read but that’s not my point here!).
I have often talked about the lack of a data tariff on my much loved and, imminently out of contract, Nokia N95 8GB. For a converged device it works very well though I often bemoan the lack of a proper keyboard (I recently gained much admiration for the Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 after seeing it at the Microsoft Tech Launch).
So, my plan of action is the following:
- Get the Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 for use with mobile devices – currently out of stock!
- Change my phone to a phone with a data tariff – I have pretty much decided on the Palm Pre when it becomes available – roll on the 16th!
- Obtain a secondary portable device that is geared more towards a data connection – perhaps the HTC Hero Android Phone – done!
- Obtain a 3G dongle with a decent 10GB+ plan for use on my Netbook when out and about – in progress!
- Get the Edirol R09HR portable stereo recorder so I can create audio recordings when travelling – done!
- Obtain a better camera for taking snaps – still undecided on this point
- Look into the benefits of the Powermat for simplified charging
- A suitable rolling case or bag in which to store my new gadget collection – I quite like the look of the Samsonite Roller
What gadgets do you have/rely on for keeping connected when travelling?